From the time I was a very little girl, I remember watching 2 t.v. shows religiously with my grandma- Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. Apparently I didn't pay very much attention to Jeopardy or I would be smarter, but man did we love to watch these 2 shows together. I remember thinking how amazing it was how may questions my grandma and grandpa knew and how lucky I was to have such smart grandparents! Well, I never did get better at Jeopardy, but boy can I play a mean game of Wheel of Fortune! That great success I owe to my grandma! :) But in all seriousness, I owe a lot of the success in my life to my grandparents. They have always been there for me and have always offered great support to me. They, along with my amazing mother, taught me that I could do and be anything I put my mind to. They taught me, through unfailing example, to be a hard worker and how to persevere. They were always there for my piano and violin recitals and concerts, many tennis matches and any school or church event that included any sort of audience- they were there!
I remember when I was a junior in high school, I went to their house to visit. There they were anxiously waiting for me with a newspaper clipping about tryouts for the Ms. Orem beauty pageant. They had it all planned out. They would sponsor me with all the money it took to enter and compete and vowed to do whatever I needed during the process. I would play my violin and they would buy me a beautiful gown for the evening gown competition. I could instantly tell they had put a lot of thought into this and were completely serious! I remember looking at them and smiling- trying not to laugh! I remember feeling so lucky to be loved so much and for being part of a family that loved and thought I was talented and beautiful enough to be in a beauty pageant! Although I thought the offer was incredibly sweet, I graciously declined and said "I would die if I had to be in a swimming suit in front of hundreds of people!" :) Of course they tried to assure me that I looked beautiful and not to worry about the swimming suit competition. I couldn't get past the swimming suit issue and again declined. They tried for a few days to persuade me but, in the end, me and my flat-chested, big-thigh argument won! I don't think they ever knew how much that meant to me. Many times, throughout the years, when I am feeling down on myself and anything but beautiful- I remember that, to my grandma and grandpa, I am a beauty queen!
Some of my fondest memories come from them teaching me the concept of hard work. My grandparents owned the "Chalet Cafe" in Provo canyon. It is no longer standing, but the memories and fun times we had there as a family will live forever. My grandparents allowed me to work there every Saturday from the time I was 11 or 12 years old. I would work side by side with my grandpa and Aunt Myker in the kitchen peeling potatoes, making french fries, making hamburger patties and much more. I loved being with them! And when I was done, I would excitingly go out front and be with my grandma! She was so fun to be around. We would wash silverware together, clear off tables, watch the hummingbirds through the window and watch the Heber Creeper stop twice a day to turn around on the tracks. I remember her being so perturbed at all the people that would come in just to use the bathroom and not buy anything! When I got older I started being a waitress and soon joined in her frustration! We would make "subtle" comments when they left, just loud enough for them to hear. Then we would look at each other and just giggle! She taught me so much about finances. My grandma was a top-notch book-keeper. I remember her financial book and bank bags that she had so organized. She taught me how to save and be careful with money. Through her example, I was able to pay for a whole semester at college with just the change I made from tips during the summer. I loved the days at the Chalet. My grandma was so great to work with my school schedule. She never worked me on Sundays, even though it was their busiest day, because she knew it was important to me not to work on Sunday. Once again, always supportive!
Some of my favorite times were when we would have picnics and camp outs at their "property" that was next to the Chalet. They owned a little cabin, with a fire pit, horseshoes and picnic tables all nestled close to the Provo River. As my grandpa said, "It was paradise on earth!" It was the perfect setting for years of memorable family gatherings. We celebrated many holidays, birthdays and special occasions there. We would bring potluck dishes but my grandpa always grilled. I couldn't pick a favorite if I tried, from his untouchable hamburgers and steak to his fish caught in the Provo river. If we ever forgot or ran out of something, my grandma would give us the keys to the Chalet and we would get in the old white jeep, that started with a push of a button, and get what ever we needed-she would often throw in a candy or two. Even though the Chalet was not very far and in close walking distance, they knew we loved driving the jeep and would let us take it for a spin. We also enjoyed riding their horses and played many heated games of horse shoes at the property. My grandma and grandpa were, most of the time, unbeatable!! But I remember many times, when they played just with the grand kids, they secretly let us win! We had many camp outs there and years and years of great times.
As she got older, my grandma's heart started giving her problems. She had many major surgeries for her heart and many other body parts, including total knee replacements.
She went through countless hours of therapy for many reasons, for many years! Throughout all her medical problems, which were many, I rarely heard her complain! She talked about her ailments to me because I was her "little nurse", but was always upbeat and willing to do what was right and going to help her feel better. She was this nurse's perfect patient! I am amazed at her strength, bravery and faith as she triumphed through each and every health problem thrown her way! And at her side through it all , was my all time greatest example of a true and loving husband, father and grandfather, my grandpa Mike! I know my grandma would agree when I say that she probably couldn't have gotten through what she did without him. I have never seen a better example of love, compassion and selflessness than from my grandpa. My grandma is truly his soul-mate, his love, and as I see him mourn for her, I realize she is half of his heart! Their relationship, through my eyes, was almost like a fairytale! They are such a great example to me of how to make a marriage work. They had problems, just like every married couple, but they always kept life in perspective and realized what was worth fighting for and what wasn't! They were married for over 58 years and we still saw them dancing in the kitchen. Grandpa, I know that you miss grandma more than words could possibly explain, but I know that you will dance again soon! Your family mourns with you and love you very, very much! We are here to lighten your burdens and to shower you with love, just like you did for grandma!
One thing about my grandma, is that she has always loved birds, any kind of birds. You can find a book of birds on their dining room table, just below a big window to the backyard. She had all kinds of bird feeders always filled with bird seed, including sweet nectar for one of her favorites, the hummingbird. I love that about my grandma. She could always see the simple things in life and enjoyed the things that most people take for granted. She loved all of Heavenly Fathers creations-especially the birds! After she passed away I wrote a poem about her love of birds. Grandma, I hope I did your love for them justice! :)
"Grandma, why do birds sing?" the little girl asked
with curiosity in her eyes.
"And why do they fly so way up high-
are they tiny angels in disguise?"
"The birds sing to us, my dear,"
the grandma sweetly replied.
"And angels indeed, they are to me-
God's gift, a heavenly guide."
"For with their wings, they show great faith,
as they soar to untold heights.
And as they fly to the highest branch-
it's their strength that carries each flight."
"As the sun brightens each new hour,
the song of the bird brings happiness to my day.
Their song of hope rings loud and clear-
it erases any sadness away."
"So you see, dear child, birds are truly God's gift-
through their songs I am never alone.
Through their wings I find my strength-
and through their flight, I'll find my way home."
After my grandma passed away, I have started to realize all the tender mercies that our Heavenly Father give us! My grandma had a cardiac arrest in June and, although weak and often tired, walked away unscathed. We were given 6 more months to be with and love this wonderful woman. We were given 6 more months to learn from her, help her, laugh with her and mostly just be a part of the end of her earthy life. I only wish I would have taken more time to be with her. My grandpa, my mom and aunt were blessed to take my grandma on one last trip, one that she had really looked forward to. I know my grandma loved it! We were able to spend one last holiday season with her and except for a few days, she was healthy and happy. Even the night before she died, my mom and aunts were given the opportunity to be with her. They said they hadn't see her that happy and care-free for a long time! That is a gift they will cherish forever. All but one member of the family, who was in Canada but came as soon as she could, were there when she passed away. Although it was hard on all of us to watch my grandma's body fight 'till the bitter end and to see each others pain, it was such a gift for all of us to be together to lift each other up and to share in our pain and loss of a dear loved-one. Although her time with us is over for a season, we have been blessed to know, learn from and love such a great daughter of God. I thank our Heavenly Father for sending me to such a wonderful, caring, one-of-a-kind, unbeatable family and for the opportunity to have a grandma like mine!!!!
Last, I would like to remember a poem that my grandpa had my mom read at the funeral. It is a poem I hope to live by, just as I have seen my grandma and grandpa show throughout their marriage and life!
Real love is... The look in someones eyes that is meant for you alone, a gentle kiss that says everything will be okay, a hand held in just the right way at just the right time.
Real love is... A secret told by one heart and guarded by another, a belief that someone knows you as no one else can, the little day-to-day acts of thoughtfulness that go unmentioned but not unnoticed.
Real love is... a feeling that no matter where you are, the deepest part of you remains with the one you love, a dream that comes true with time and trust and a little luck.
Real love is... a promise of forever.
I love you grandma, and I know that with time and trust, we will be together as a family forever!! But for now, spread your wings and soar with your favorite birds- we will feel you in their songs!



7 comments:
Marta-
You are so sweet. I think it really is a true blessing to be able to spend time with grandparents! They have so much to teach us! I have to admit, reading your post made me a little teary, because we used to religiously watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune with my grandpa! Love you!
Marta,
I am so sorry to hear about your grandma's passing. Just sending out a little hug to let you know that I'm thinking about you.
DeAnna
PS I love Wheel of Fortune and I think that I ate at the Chalet once. :D
Marta,
You are amazing to open your heart to us all. I didn't grow up near my extended family and I really wish I could have half the relationship with my grand parents that you have had. Thank you so much for telling us about your amazing grandparent. Love you so much!
That is so sweet, so touching. I am sorry for the loss of your grandma, she sounds wonderful. You have such a way of capturing people with words. I love reading your blog!
I'm sorry for your loss Marta. Your grandmother (and grandfather) sounds like amazing people. What a rich heritage.
What a sweet post. I am so sorry about your grandma, even if it's someone's time to go, that doesn't make it easy on those of us left behind. She sounds like a great woman!
oh Marta- I am so sorry to hear that your grandmother passed away. I know you two were very close and that she was so special to you. A part of her will live in you always!
I love you so much!
Post a Comment