Monday, February 9, 2009

Hang in there!!

Tonight I am sad! At least I have a lot of sadness in my heart. There are a lot of things I hold dear to my heart, but besides the Gospel and my family, my friends are at the top of my list. And lately I have watched a lot of my friends go through some really hard things. A few of my dearest friends are dealing with the foster care/adoption system, and let me tell you-at times it is really messed up!! Don't get me wrong, I have seen, many times, adoption at its best- bringing sooo much happiness to families and the baby/child! I have a lot of friends that have been very blessed by adopting. As a labor and delivery nurse I have been a part of many successful adoptions and it is one of the most beautiful things! But I have also seen the very disturbing flip side!! There are NO rules for the birth mom and it makes me FURIOUS!! Peoples emotions, especially when a baby is involved, are NOT something to play around with! Just the other day at work, a young, very immature (in the nurses opinion) teenager did just this to a family. Just like that she changed her mind and in a snap of a finger, destroyed the excitement and hope of a young couple! It's just plain wrong!! (Big breath in, big breath out- o.k- I'm calm again! :) Anyway, my friend is going through a little different situation, but is still with the adoption agency. Why is it that some people FEEL like they have so much control and feel so empowered! Some people just like playing God- and it's very disturbing and very wrong! I really shouldn't say much more about the situation but the fact of the matter is that I have a friend and her family, who I care deeply for, who are sad beyond words. The hardest thing for me is that there is not a darn thing I can do about it- I take that back, I can pray!! I know that prayers are so powerful and do more than anything else I can do. I am indeed thankful for that.

I also have a dear friend that is going through a really hard time in her marriage. (many of us have been there, done that- it is not fun!!) I love this family so much and love this friend like a sister! I want to take all her problems away and just fill her up with the love and respect that she deserves!! Again, not much that I can do, except pray! I just want to fix it and I can't! I can however be there if she needs anything! (hint, hint!) I love you- you're the best! Hang in there and don't ever forget all the people who love you and think you are amazing-especially our Heavenly Father!!

One of my friends that I love dearly is a single mom! Now that should say it all- I don't know how she does it!! But not only is she supporting her and her son, by herself, but to do so she is working 2 jobs! She frequently works 6-10 days (12 hour shifts) in a row. Once again, I don't know how she does it. I am a complete tired mess after working 2 or 3 in a row! She is an amazing woman and is so intelligent. I often am embarrased at how little I know compared to her vast knowledge of sooo much! It breaks my heart to see her sad. She has had a rough life and often feels like giving up!! But, she doesn't!! She plugs along every day, doing her best. I wish I could take some of her sadness away and help her so she doesn't feel so alone! P, I love you and I know a lot of people feel the same way! These hard times will pass, just take one day at a time and remember that I am here whenever and wherever you need me!!!

It seems that a lot of my friends are going through tough times right now! One is home on bed rest, giving it her all to keep her little baby in a little bit longer! Hang in there, Kilee!! You're almost there and before you know it your little guy will be in your arms!!!! Miss you!!

A few of my friends husbands have or are close to losing there jobs! These are such hard times! I am so sorry! These friends are being so brave and are working so hard to support their families! You are amazing to me!! There are also a few friends who are going to school, both part time and full time, (while being mothers!!) and are working so hard to finish their education!! You go girls!! :) It is hard but sooooo worth it! There is an end in sight, I promise! And all the hours of studying, sleepless nights and all the papers etc, will be worth it!!! I even have a friend who is taking classes so that she can be her husband's dialysis nurse so he can have his dialysis treatments at home! AMAZING!!!

I have one friend whose little boy is having problems with his kidneys! He has been taking steroid shots. The problem is that he just took his last steroid shot and if it doesn't work he will have to go on a specialty Chemotherapy drug that will wipe out his immune system! YIKES!!! The amazing thing is that she is being so faithful and doesn't complain AT ALL!! What a great example she is to me- she just takes life, and what ever it throws her way, in stride-one day at a time! Again, what an amazing person!!

You know, after writing this post, I really don't know what to say!! Most of you probably can relate and have friends that are going through hard times. It is so hard watching them suffer! I wish there was more I could do for them- I only wish that I could take their pain away! But I can't! But I do know who can- our Heavenly Father is very much aware of their situations and their pain! And when you think you are alone, it is then that He is carrying you!! He will never leave you alone!! Keep praying, dear friends- I know that Heavenly Father is listening and will help you!! I am incredibly blessed to have such wonderful friends who teach me so much of life's lessons on a daily basis! I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that they have been sent to me as great examples!! I hope and pray that all will go well with them and that the struggles they are going through, will soon subside! Just a little shout out to ALL my friends-- You are all the best and I appreciate you and thank you for being my confidants, my sound boards, my saving grace, my laughter, my FRIENDS!!! It brings me so much comfort to know that in times like these, where there are so many "bad guys" out there, that there are amazing people out there, like you, fighting back! And that your strength, your faith and your great works will be more than enough to take down the "bad guys!" Go, Fight, Win!!!! (cheesy, I know-it just seemed to fit!:)

7 comments:

DeAnna said...

There you go again...making me cry on Tuesdays...Love you!

Leslie said...

Marta-

You are the most amazing woman! I seriously have grown to love you so much! Thank YOU for being an amazing friend!

Kristen said...

Marta, seriously? How awesome of a friend are you!? you have such a huge heart, I love that you are so uplifting and compassionate. We need to go have lunch...its way past the Christmas rush. Lets do this.

Becca said...

You are too amazing for words! Even when the things you say are sad and hard, I come away from reading/hearing what you say feeling hope, peace, and love. Anyone who spends five minutes with you feels that too. We are all so blessed to call you our friend

Jen said...

These times are HARD. You are the BEST friend, and the reason you have so many friends having hard times is because you are such a great friend that people can't help telling you all their woes. That makes your burden heavy, but you carry it with class! I am grateful to call you my friend, even if we lost touch for way too long!

Kristin and Isaac Alldredge said...

Marta, I just love you so much. Yesterday I was thinking about you and I missed you so bad that it hurt. You have such an ability to see the best in others...even crazy antepartum patients (hypothetically speaking, of course, I would never break HIPPA laws).
Love ya girl!!
p.s. I love the Tayla pictures too!! What a doll! Jake will be so happy with her- I will start now to make sure he is worthy of her!

Tamara said...

Marta,
We are all so lucky to have you as a friend!
luv ya