Anyway, back to the tick disorder. We went and saw a Neurologist and she wanted an MRI and an EEG done to rule out any other problems. So, on Monday we went and had an MRI done on Darion. If anyone has ever had one, you know that it can be kind of scary, especially for a 10 year old. Darion was very brave! He got a little nervous when they put him in the tunnel and when they put the IV in to do contrast, but all in all I was very impressed with his strength during such a scary procedure.
On Tuesday, Darion earned his Bear badge in cub scouts. Although I have never really been good at routinely working on scout things, Darion worked very hard on his requirements. He is now in Webelos. I am hoping that I will be a little more on the ball this time and work on his requirements with him more often. I do have to make a huge shout out to all of Darion and Austin's scout leaders- both past and present. Holy cow- they are AMAZING!! I have never seen or heard of scout leaders that put so much time, effort and love into each scout and the scout program! When I tell my friends how on the ball the scout leaders are, they are very jealous! I, among many other parents, am so appreciative of all you do!! Thank you!!
Here are a few pix from scouts!
On Wednesday, we went to UVRMC to have his EEG done. Darion didn't think this one was scary at all. The hard thing with an EEG is that you need to be sleep-deprived. He had to go to sleep 2 hours later than usual and wake up 2 hours earlier. Darion thought that the staying up later was pretty awesome until..... 4:30 am came along!!! Needless to say, we were both pretty tired and came home and took a nap!! YAY for naps!! :) Here are a few pictures of the EEG. He thought he looked a little like Medusa! :)
Darion never ceases to amaze me!! Even when his "friends" make fun of him and his ticks or rudely tell him "just stop it, it's annoying", he tries to be brave and not let their comment bother him. He just simply says, "I can't stop them, I don't know how." I know that kids will be kids and that they're young, but from a mothers view-point, it doesn't make it any easier! I have a really hard time when he comes home from school and tells me things that kids have said about his ticks. My heart aches when I see how sad he is. I always try to comfort him and tell him how awesome he is! I try to teach him about trials and that if he asks for help, Heavenly Father will help him! Darion is very receptive to this last one. He has so much faith, it is amazing! Darion never holds grudges to his friends and most of the time, after talking to me, doesn't even bring it back up- until next time. I guess it's the inevitable "next time" that makes me the most sad! I wish I could stop the hurtful comments. I wish I could make his "twitches" (that's what Darion calls them) go away- but I can't- and, as all you mothers out there will agree, that stinks!!! I just want to fix it! I am comforted, however, at the strong young boy that he is becoming. He is learning, in his young life, about taking the hard times and turning them into strength and tenacity. If Darion had a motto I think this would be it: "I can't change the direction of the wind. But I can adjust my sails." Always keep sailing, Darion.
I am so proud of my sweet Darion. I enjoyed the individual time I was given with him! I love you, Darion! Twitches or no twitches- You are amazing! :)
I am so proud of my sweet Darion. I enjoyed the individual time I was given with him! I love you, Darion! Twitches or no twitches- You are amazing! :)



4 comments:
Darion is such an amazing boy! How brave he had to be for those tests! Way to go Darion!
He really is such a sweet heart and I'm glad we all know what's going on. I will make sure that my kids know the reason for his ticks so that he doesn't get too many questions. And you're right...he does kind of look like Medusa. (I think it would be a great Halloween costume)
And ditto on the scout leaders. And if it makes you feel better, I suck at scouts too!
I wish I could meet Darion. He sounds amazing, just like his mom. I hate that kids are not ok when others are different. I breaks my heart that we can't learn at a young age to accept others. But, as anyone who goes through something with a good attitude, he will come out the other end stronger! Thanks for sharing this awesome story!
Darion is awsome. I am glad you were able to get a diagnosis for the ticks. He gets his sweet, happy, positive, selfless personality straight from his mom. You are a great mom, Marta. Adam can have a little credit too. You have a great family.
Post a Comment