Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesday Treasures

Sometimes, in this busy life of ours, it is VERY easy to get caught up in what we "think" is most important and put all the rest on the back burner. Well, that's what my treasure is today- "all the rest!" I am so thankful for all the simple things in life; sweet giggles after a funny joke, belly-gut laughs during a tickle fight. Snuggling with the ones I love on a Sunday afternoon, taking up the whole bed when my husband goes to work. Eskimo kisses, big wet kisses from a baby. Reading a good book, watching a good chick flick. Licking the beaters after making cookies, the smell of warm bread. Dancing when I think no one is watching, a bride and grooms first dance. A warm shower, clean jammies. Freshly fallen snow, the way it smells after it rains. A friendly smile from a stranger, a strong, familiar hand to hold when I'm lonely or sad. The gift of being able to say "sorry" and to be forgiven. The glow of a sunset or sunrise. Just simply knowing that I am loved. Pretty much all the many things we take for granted every day!

This poem reminded me of the simple things and to embrace them every moment- for we never know when that tender moment will be gone and replaced only with regret! Life is too short and way too precious!!

Take time to play with your kids more. Silly play.
Run around with them. They love it.
Sit and cuddle your kids as much as you can.
Make sure everyone knows how much you love them-
Sometimes you never have the chance to tell them again.
Don't sweat the small stuff. Some things just don't matter-
They mean something, but they really don't matter.
Hold yourself accountable.
Remember that everyone has a bad day once and a while. Just like you.
Don't get offended. Assume that whomever said it, just didn't get it out right.
Give others a break. We are all fighting our own battles.
Remember that people aren't always going to remember what you said,
But they will always remember how you made them feel. Make them feel special.
There are too many people out there who need someone really bad. Be that someone.
Sometimes all someone needs is a shoulder to cry on. Give it to them and really listen.
Don't keep your distance. We are all supposed to be taking care of each other.
Life isn't about us, it's about everyone else.
Sometimes the simplest things to you, mean the world to someone else.Give it to them.
Live by example.
Have Faith.
Remember . . . Life is Good.

"One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone. Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering!"






“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away.”

6 comments:

DeAnna said...

I love your Tuesday Treasures...I think you are a living example of what you wrote about. You always make everyone feel so special and loved.

Leslie said...

THANK YOU for putting this up! I have been feeling this way for a few days now, ever since Gabe crawled in bed with me, looked at my face, and started pointing and saying "I love your nose....I love your eyebrows...."
And I think that you are such an example of this too! Your love for your kids shines through everything you do!

Kristin and Isaac Alldredge said...

Marta- every time I read your blog, I want to call you and talk! I miss you so much! You are really a fantastic writer. Just another of your endless talents. You are such a good example to me of kindness and love. Are you still considering a visit to Denver? Love you tons- hope to talk to you soon!

Anjella said...

I love your Tuesday Treasures. And I LOVED the pictures!

Thank you so much for stopping by yesterday and just being a dear friend. You are definitely one of MY treasures and I simply don't know what I would do with out you!

Mer said...

Oh Marta, thanks for that. I needed just such a reminder. What beautiful pictures, too! You pretty much rock my world. Since I don't really know if I'll ever get to perform my song and dance for you, here are the lyrics, at least:

M is for MARTA,
A is for ALL NIGHT!
R is for ROWDY,
T is for TONIGHT!
A is for AWESOME,
'cuz you know who she is!
She's Maaaaaaarta!
Don't let her husband know...
Maaaaaaaaaaarta!
'cuz he will want some mo'
Maaaaaaaaaaaaarta!
Don't let Rebecca know...
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaarta!
Or she won't let her go.
Marta Marta Marta Marta Marta!!!
(make firework guestures with your hands here)

Not quite the same without the dance moves, but I s'pose it's better than nothing. :)

Jen said...

This post is so sweet. You have such a great attitude, a kind heart, and a zest for life. Every life you touch is blessed to have known you. You really lifted my spirits with this post, because I struggle with letting the "small stuff" make me sweaty. This is a battle I am determined to win! Thanks for your uplifting words!